Home   /  Sport  /  Kinsale Community School 3-3 Colaiste Dun Iascaigh Cahir


Kinsale Community School 3-3 Colaiste Dun Iascaigh Cahir

Kinsale Community School 3-3 Colaiste Dun Iascaigh Cahir (Cahir win 5-4 on penalties) Huge Congratulations to local school Colaiste Dun Iascaigh Cahir on their progression to the semi final stage of the Munster Schools u15 A Soccer competition.

Having overcome several rounds of fixtures so far, including big hitters such as De La Salle of Waterford and St Colman's of Fermoy along the way, Cahir had come into the tie in Carrigaline in good form, scoring plenty of goals and displaying a miserly defence.

Both sides started this tie tentatively with both eager not to give away the early initiative. A free kick from 40 yards out midway through the first half by Rowan Barrett would open the scoring in this cup tie, Barrett's effort cracking the crossbar before a scramble in the box was powered home by the impressive Josh O Dwyer. Leigh Murphy could find himself unlucky not to double the Cahir lead later in the half as they went into the break a goal to the good.

The script would be completely flipped in the second half, five goals being scored in what turned out to be exciting viewing for neutrals and spectators watching. Kinsale scored three goals in the space of 10 minutes which hit the Tipperary sides hopes with a hammer blow given the relative dominance and comfort they had enjoyed up until this point.

With 7 minutes remaining, Cahir still found themselves behind by two goals. Rowan Barrett received the ball from a quickly taken throw in and jinked into the home sides 18 yard area, his square ball across the 6 yard line resulted in a foul being committed on Josh Davey. Up stepped Barrett who cooly dispatched his penalty into the top corner.

Momentum completely shifted from this point and the confidence now felt by the Tipperary side was shown in their equaliser with a move of over twelve passes. Goalkeeper Daniels Lakis waltzed out past two opposing strikers with the ball, resulting in a passing movement between Padraig Farrell, Josh O Dwyer, Luke Morrissey, Leigh Murphy, Rowan Barrett and finally Josh Davey ending up in the back of the net.

Both sides meandered through extra time, Barrett and Patrick McDonagh both going close and Lakis producing one crucial save. In the end the game went to penalties, a cruel way for either side to lose given the effort put in by both.

Cahir would convert all five of their penalties with Rowan Barrett, Leigh Murphy, Daniels Lakis, Dean Cummins and finally Padraig Farrell all being successful sending them through to the final four.

Man of the Match :Rowan Barrett