Home   /  Sport  /  Cahir Park AFC Notes


Cahir Park AFC Notes

Tsdl Premier League Result

Cahir Park 4 Bansha Celtic 3

In a hotley contested game in Cahir Park in front of a large crowd the park came out on top by the narrowest of margins. With both teams missing players it was a chance for others to put there mark on the game. Park went 1 up with a great strike from Alan O Donnell from outside the box. The lead didnt last long and it was 1 all after a mix up in the park defence but again within minutes a wonderful move instigated and finished superbly by Kieran Lambert put the park 2 1 up at the break. The game was turned on its head just after the break when the referee awarded Bansha a penalty and then sent off the cahir central defender. The penalty was dispatched and the park looked under pressure. A few tactical changes were made and 10 man Cahir took the game to bansha and a free kick from Shane O Neill which deflected off the unlucky celtic keeper saw the park go 3 2 up. A fourth goal was added by Darren Murphy who never gave up on a ball and finished to an empty net after beating the goalkeeper. Bansha never gave in and scored a third goal to leave an nervy finish for the home side. The lads held on to get there first points on the table and have a though task next week away to high flying Vee Rovers. Well done to Kenny, Fish and all the lads today on a great win.

TSDL Youths Division 1

Peake Villa 1

Cahir Park AFC 3

Both teams enjoyed good wins in the opening round of league games last weekend.

The Park started the better pressing Villa high and forcing them into a error or two early on which Cahir failed to capitalise on.

On 10 minutes, David Brannigan whipped in a free kick which somehow evaded 3 Cahir Park players and narrowly wide of the far post.

On 12 minutes David Clifford beat 2 Villa defenders and his cross again narrowly evaded the Park attack.

Another free kick delivery on 14 minutes evaded the Villa defence and Andrew Browne was millimetres from heading home, with Cathal Berrigan bravely collided with the post trying to get a final touch.

On 15 minutes Villa had their first attempt, a ball over the top saw Kevin Patton contest in air with the Cahir keeper Bartek Czyzewski, with Luke O'Brien scrambling the ball clear.

2 minutes later Kevin Patton, fully 25 metres from goal, shielded the ball and turned to slot to the bottom corner of the Cahir net to send the home team 1 up. This gave the home side a massive lift and the next 15 minutes saw an energetic, high intensity ‘battle' between both midfield units. As much as the Villa goal was against the run of play the Cahir Park equaliser had its' share of good fortune. Following a through ball from David Clifford, Rhys Byron was narrowly beaten to the ball by the Villa keeper, Lorcan Cummins, who unluckily fumbled as he tried to gather and the alert Byron rounded the keeper and slotted home to have the teams level on 33 minutes.

There was little attacking action in the remainder of the 1st half.

The second half started much the same, a midfield battle and the very hot conditions were starting to take their toll in terms of pace and energy and the game became a scrappy affair. With 25 minutes to go, Cahir make a number of positional changes and introduced Jake Kiely, Zac Keating and Ben Keating from the bench, each adding fresh legs and at this point the game turned. The Park began to get on top and push the Villa team towards their own goal. A series of Park chances were scrambled clear and as the clock ticked down it looked like the resolute Thurles defence would survive. On 83 minutes, great link play from Luke O'Brien, and Kieran Crotty saw Rhys Byron played in, beating 2 despairing tackles and as he was about to strike, a last gap tackle give the Park a corner. Crotty sent in the corner and David Murphy, immense at the back in the air all afternoon, rose to head the ball powerfully home and give Cahir Park a deserved lead on 84 minutes. Ayo Williams and Billy Coffey were immediately introduced to ‘shore up' the midfield. Villa poured forward in search of an equaliser and when an attack broke down, Cahir broke away and only a foul wide on the right avoided Rhys O'Regan being in on goal. The resulting free kick on 89 minutes saw Rhys O'Regan bravely head the ball in a crowd of players scoring inside the far post, securing all 3 points for the visitors.

Very early days, but a positive start from Cahir Park in their first 2 league games. Next week the team welcomes St Kevin's, Two Mile Borris, to The Park.

Schoolboys and Schoolgirls

With all teams back training around now we welcome the new and old players to the club. Registration is taking place now and all forms along with insurance and registration fees must be returned to the club asap. Fees include a ticket to the FAI national draw. Call 052 7443850 for more info.