On Sunday last, The Sallows, a recently renovated eco-accommodation, events and training centre in Clogheen paid homage to local historical links with the 1916 rising. A piper led parade of retired Army members, the Irish Veterans Association including Kevin O'Leary, Secretary of the third brigade Old IRA were joined by local Cumann members and dignitaries as they marched proudly through the town of Clogheen. Siobhán Ambrose, Chairperson of Tipperary County Council first unveiled a plaque in honour of Thomas J. Clarke at the former home of his mother Mary Palmer, a native of Clogheen. Clarke was one of the seven signatories of the 1916 Provisional Government of the Irish Republic Proclamation. The parade then proceeded to The Sallows, an eco-accommodation, events and training centre situated at Lower Main St., Clogheen. A building once owned by Maurice A. McGrath and Bridget A. Gleeson where the fledgling Fianna Fáil Cumann Meetings took place from 1928 and Sean Flynn was inducted into the Cumann in the 1940's by Michael Gleeson, former Secretary of the Cumann. The Gleeson family were delighted to facilitate the plaque erection and Councillor Michéal Anglim unveiled the plaque in honour of Sean Flynn and to acknowledge the historical relevance of the property. The Sallows has been in the Gleeson family for over 80 years and has been a 3 year conservation project for Garry Gleeson and his family. The project aim was to preserve the unique history of the building in an environmentally friendly manner, whilst transforming the establishment into a modern accommodation and training facility suitable for large groups. The Gleeson family are thrilled with the outcome and how they have brought a new lease of life to the three story listed terrace house for many more generations of family and visitors to enjoy. Situated in the heart of Clogheen at the foot of The Vee, The Sallows is ideally designed to provide accommodation for up to 20 guests and facilitate various group events be it cycling, walking, hill climbing, seminars, family get-togethers or social events. The building has been expertly conserved and renovated to include dining and relaxing spaces, a large training facility, gardens and a secure lock up to store training equipment, bikes etc. Visit www.thesallows.ie for more information.
Tipperary County Council Chairperson, Siobhán Ambrose and Cllr. Micháel Anglim officially open The Sallows Clogheen and unveil a memorial plaque pictured here with members of the Gleeson family, proprietors of the recently conserved guest accommodation. (L-R) Clare Gleeson, Miriam Halley, Caroline Gleeson, Gemma Gleeson, Garry Gleeson, Cllr. Siobhán Ambrose and Cllr. Micháel Anglim