Home   /  Sport  /  All Ireland Intermediate Club Championship Final


All Ireland Intermediate Club Championship Final

A huge Cahir crowd traveled to Parnell Park, Dublin today for the All Ireland Intermediate Club Championship Final between Cahir and Milltown of Westmeath.

The Cahir team under the management of Karl McCarthy were taking nothing for granted having been in this position in 2012 only to lose out the Parnell's of London in the final played in Ballymore Eustace on that occasion.

The game started well for Cahir when Aisling Moloney tapped the throw in to Captain,Ann Marie O Gorman to set up Roisin Howard for the first score of the game inside 30seconds. This was quickly followed up with a point from Aisling Moloney in the 3rd minute. An open goal chance was spurned by the Cahir forwards shortly afterwards to put the Cahir side well and truly in the driving seat but instead it was Milltown who went down field and midfielder Tracy Dillon made it 0-2 to 0-1.Camogie Captain Aisling McCarthy who was a doubt early in the week put a free over in the 8th minute and one from play seconds later to open a gap but again Dillon came back with a point immediately. There was a point added by Moloney in the 10th minute before Bronagh Beglan put one over for the Westmeath champions. Cahir had another goal chance denied in this period and could have been further ahead but in the last 10 minutes of the half it was Milltown who were coming more into the game.

This was despite a point by Aoife Corcoran in the 22 minute and Orla Mc Eniry in the 28 minute the ladies in Maroon colours with Beglan, Ruth Kearney and Faye Kearney popped over 3 to leave the score 0-7 to 0-6 at half time.

It is fair to say that Milltown also had missed point chances in the first half and the critics in the stand at half time wondered if the Munster Champions would rue the missed goal opportunities early in the half.

The second half started at a rapid pace and the defensive attitude of Milltown had changed with wing backs driving forward creating pressure on the Cahir backs and returned 1-2 in the first 3 minutes of the restart.

Aoife Corcoran bounced back with a point in the 37th and Roisin Howard in the 41st and we thought that the Cahir Girls had weathered the storm. Further points from Leanne Slevin(2) and Sinead Boyce(1) had put Milltown 6 points and a killer Blow from 14 year old sub Sarah Dillon landed a goal in the net to put the game beyond Cahirs reach.

There was to be another late twist in this absorbing final when Cahir mentors had made changes that seemed to bring them back into the game and with a girl in the bin for the Westmeath Club, Cahir were to load on pressure for the remaining 7 minutes.

In this period Emma Buckley found herself in the unusual position own the 21 yard line to blast a ball to the net. It was now Cahir 1-11 Milltown 2-14. Once again Moloney was pumping missile in for the centre of the field and breaking balls seem to suit the Tipp Champs and no better than Howard to latch on and blast to the net 2-11 to 2-14. The heroics of the Milltown keeper, 16 year old Grainne Byrne touched a ball to the crossbar to deny Cahir a draw as we approached the final minute. There was to be one last effort from Aisling McCarthy who had a half chance but the ball rose high to finish the scoring at Cahir 2-12, Milltown 2-14. Had it been not for the hooter maybe Cahir would have contested one last ball they cannot be faulted for effort. They will rue chances missed early in the game and a poor start to the second half but all in all they can hold their heads high after a very entertaining game.

The loss of Aoife Casey at full back was definitely a factor and the camogie selectors will wait to see how Aoife Corcorans is having been removed with a leg injury late in the game. The girls have given great entertainment all the year and can now concentrate on the camogie All Ireland Intermediate semi final appearance against Tullaroan in late January.